The Summer Garden is the oldest park ensemble of St. Petersburg. It was founded by the decree of Peter the Great near his summer residence in 1704 . Dreaming of his own Versailles, the czar personally made drawings of the future park. He could not imagine it without fountains. In 1706, their development was complete. They were the first fountains in Russia. According to the czar’s plans, the Summer Garden was to be decorated with sculptures. By 1736, there were more than 200 of them in the park.