The first fountains in Naples appeared in the time of the ancient Greeks; however, the real boom in their construction was in the first half of the 16th century. This is due to the sharp increase in population. At that time, fountains were created for utilitarian purposes; townspeople took water from them. More than one hundred old fountains still remain in the city. One of them is the Fontana del Formiello, which dates back to 1573. During its existence, it was refurbished several times and at the end of the 19th century, it was replaced to municipal storage and restored only in 1930.